How to Prevent Plumbing Sulfur Smells – This Old House
This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey offers remedies to prevent smelly water. (See the shopping list, tools, and steps below.)
Watch the new season of Ask This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,,00.html
Find the TV schedule for air times in your area: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/info/0,,20058777,00.html
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Understanding New Water-Heater Regulations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcrWeVKTog
How to Adjust Water Heater Temperature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaeTqH3eWE
Shopping List for How to Prevent Plumbing Sulfur Smells:
– Aluminum anode rod, used to replace magnesium rod in water heater
Tools for How to Prevent Plumbing Sulfur Smells:
– Wrench, used to remove anode rod from water heater
Steps for How to Prevent Plumbing Sulfur Smells:
1. If the sulfur smell is present in both the hot water and the cold water, call a licensed well contractor and have him or her treat the problem at the well.
2. If the odor is only in the hot water, replace the water heater’s sacrificial magnesium anode rod with an aluminum rod.
3. Sulfur smells are extremely rare in municipal water systems.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
Visit Us At: http://www.doncsale.co.uk/